Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lao Phuan of Laos


On the right hand side of my blog, I have a neat little feature that helps me build vision for the world. In a place like America, it is hard to believe that there are people in the world that have never heard the name Jesus. With this feature, every day a new people group will pop up and tell a few facts about them. Today's people group hits close to home, my home on the exact opposite side of the world.

My senior year of college, I had the opportunity to travel to Thailand on a CCP with Campus Outreach. I lived in Khon Kaen, which is in the north-eastern part of Thailand and very close to the country of Laos. It is so close that when we were traveling north for a retreat, a group missed the exit for our retreat destination. Soon after, they were almost in Laos! Could you imagine, accidently crossing into another country without your passport...oh boy.



I did not have the opportunity to visit Laos, but I was very close geographically. My friends that were students at Khon Kaen University (KKU) and also the CO Thailand staff members would travel to Laos for weekend trips.

The Lao Phuan live mostly in Laos, but a large group live in Thailand. Lao Phuan are primarily Buddhist, many mixing in traditional ethnic religions. There are two mission groups working with the Thai Lao Phuan but none working with the Laos people group. There are no resources created in the language for the Lao Phuan. They do not have a bible to read in their language.

Romans 10:14 says "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?" These people literally will not know if someone does not tell them and currently, not even a bible can tell them.

Southeast Asia is beautiful. The people are very welcoming and hospitable. The fruit is incredibly flavorful, juicy, and bright with vivid colors. You can buy a giant iced caramel latte for less than $1. Shop and bargain for an incredible deal on jewelry and clothing items. Find any Hello Kitty item you could possibly imagine. Of course, I am mostly speaking about the urban areas I frequented. The rural areas are very poor but as a whole, these people are extremely hard working, honest, and have a great respect for their elders.

I will pray for the Lao Phuan. Maybe even as students at KKU become Christians they may travel to their neighboring lands to tell of Christ!
(For your listening pleasure and to give you the full effect, I added Jump Little Children's "Rains in Asia" as the current song playing 1st on the list. Now that you are finished reading my post, you had no idea I was sending subliminal messages...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting Allison, I never heard of that group of people before. I love your blog:)